The purpose for which the Association is organized and operated is exclusively literary and educational. The purpose of the Association shall be the advancement of music education, and in specific furtherance thereof:
- To conduct programs and activities to build a vital musical culture and an enlightened musical public for the benefit and the general welfare of all persons
- To ensure that every student shall have access in school to a balanced, comprehensive, and high-quality program of music instruction;
- To improve the quality of teaching, research, and scholarship in music;
- To promote the involvement of persons of all ages in learning music;
- To foster the utilization of the most effective techniques and resources in music instruction;
- To facilitate the effective pre-service and in-service preparation of music teachers.